My family is 90% Scotch-Irish. There's a small mixture of some other heritages that make up the other 10%, but we primarily celebrate our Irish roots. So... needless to say... St. Patrick's Day is one of our very favorite holidays. Growing up we would celebrate the holiday the entire month of March. My mom would pull out her green, gold, and shamrock decorations for the house and we would eat basically any type of traditional Irish dish you could imagine every night for an entire month. It was a truly fantastic that I will forever remember and continue on for life.
Fortunately Devin's family is also Irish and maybe even more obsessed than ours when it comes to our roots. That's music to my ear because that means we can join our traditional celebrations together for a complete month of Irish tradition. We both have been wearing our green all month thus far and plan to continue for the rest. I have also made an effort to continue my childhood traditions to my new little family with Devin and cook traditional Irish meals. So far we've had Shepard's Pie, Irish Stew, Corned Beef and Cabbage, and Irish Soda Bread. This weeks menu will be adding a homemade Curry to the list too!
By far my favorite new tradition we've made is after-work cocktail at home. There's nothing better after a long day than a drink with the person you love as a time to decompress. What makes it even better is the Irish twist we've been putting on that hour. Now, Devin's choice of beverage is pretty simple: a nice cold Guinness. But, because I have to have a little kick of energy to get some extra work done each night (grad school work, blogging, and real work have had me pulling extremely long days recently) I've decided to shake things up a bit with a nice Irish Coffee.
Irish Coffee may be one of my favorite cocktails. It's kind of hard to drink them when you're just out a bar, but at home the process is easy, relaxing, and delicious. It's pretty easy too! All you need is:
3.5 Ounces of Irish Whisky
1.5 Cups of Coffee
Whipped Sweet Cream
Optional- 3.5 Ounces of Bailey's
Being Irish I always have both Jameson and Tullamore Dew on hand so this is easy for me to whip up any time. The whipped sweet cream melts into the mixture of coffee and whisky to add a sweet flavor and it's simply delicious! When I'm really looking to kick things up I add a shot of Baileys for even more sweet flavor. It's hard to even put into words how delicious this drink is and how nice it is to have a warm coffee with a twist as I talk about my day with Devin.
Because this Irish Cocktail Hour has been so successful I've been working on some nice springtime recipes so that we can keep up the tradition and keep things seasonal. Feel free to send me any suggestions you may have for April, and I'll be sure to report back with some new recipes!